This course will show you how effective graphic design is essential to daily life as it informs, instructs, warns, and entertains us. You will also discover that design is a complex process involving research and analysis, concept development, critical evaluation, refinement, and execution. Hone your critical thinking strategies for effective graphic design by practicing what you learn in relation to print- and web-based communications. This is accomplished by creating a compelling concept for an ad, assessing a brand, building a visual identity around the persona, and producing a memorable promotional piece for an event campaign. You will draw and sketch concepts by hand as this skill development is paramount for advancing into creating digital content.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare and contrast a graphic designer's role to other creative roles.
- Analyze the challenges when designing both web and print content.
- Apply research and analysis skills to the projects you create.
- Creatively solve problems using provided criteria.
- Draw and sketch concepts by hand.
- Apply the primary design process phases to graphic design projects.
- Demonstrate basic typographic hierarchy in layouts.
- Build a composition using format and layout techniques.
- Apply a flexible grid to position and align elements in a complex design.
- Differentiate between Pantone, RGB, and CMYK colour spaces.
- Design compositions based on design principles, which effectively communicate to specific audiences.
- Present your work and provide constructive feedback on your peers' work.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Graphics (MDIA 1040) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Media Techniques and Marketing Communications
- User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) Design
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Graphics (MDIA 1040)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.