This course will teach students maritime mobile and satellite services; basic equipment of a ship station; practical use of the basic equipment of a ship station; procedures and practical operation of the GMDSS system, distress, urgency and safety communications procedures and operational skills; and procedures for general communications, and the theory and practice of general communications procedures.
- Candidates must be 18 years of age or older. Familiarity with basic computer keyboarding skills.
Below is one offering of GMDS 1800 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Dec 05 - Fri Dec 16 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 49078
Class meeting times
|Dec 05 - Dec 16||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:00||Marine BMC Rm. 240|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
IMPORTANT NOTE: CLASS WILL BE HELD ON CAMPUS IN ROOM 240. Please refer to prerequisite section of course webpage for any/all prerequisites. Student manual will be provided in class. Two (2) recent citizenship style photographs measuring 1' × 1.25' (25 mm × 30 mm) are required for the issuance of the Industry Canada General Operators Certificate (GOC), Please note these are NOT passport size photos.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain the basic features of the Maritime Mobile and Mobile Satellite Service.
- State the operational regulatory requirements related to the GMDSS equipment.
- Demonstrate the basic GMDSS equipment and sub-system equipment of a ship station.
- Demonstrate how to use operational procedures for general communications.
Effective as of Fall 2009
GMDSS - General Operator's Certificate (GOC) (GMDS 1800) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Nautical Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of GMDSS - General Operator's Certificate (GOC) (GMDS 1800)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.