This course will teach students maritime mobile and satellite services; basic equipment of a ship station; practical use of the basic equipment of a ship station; procedures and practical operation of the GMDSS system, distress, urgency and safety communications procedures and operational skills; and procedures for general communications, and the theory and practice of general communications procedures.
- Candidates must be 18 years of age or older. Familiarity with basic computer keyboarding skills.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain the basic features of the Maritime Mobile and Mobile Satellite Service.
- State the operational regulatory requirements related to the GMDSS equipment.
- Demonstrate the basic GMDSS equipment and sub-system equipment of a ship station.
- Demonstrate how to use operational procedures for general communications.
Effective as of Fall 2009
GMDSS - General Operator's Certificate (GOC) (GMDS 1800) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Nautical Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of GMDSS - General Operator's Certificate (GOC) (GMDS 1800)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.