This course is intended for Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, Police/Law Enforcement, Investigators, and Attorneys who work with adult and adolescent victim of sexual assault or who are already Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, or who have taken the Forensic Nurse Examiner training and who are new or returning to their roles as Forensic Nurse Examiners. Prerequisite baseline understanding of forensic science is required. Students will learn about the normal anatomy of the adult and adolescent male and female genitalia, examine common medical conditions seen on genital examination, review examination techniques and documentation of genital injury. An overview of the current research on genital injury and forensic examination will be discussed with respect to medical and legal implications. Upon successful completion of this course, students will earn a digital badge titled "Sexual Assault Examination – Normal and Abnormal Findings".
- FSCT 7840 OR Currently working/returning to work in field of health care, law enforcement or investigation specific to victims of interpersonal violence OR by permission of the forensics department.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the normal genital anatomy of an adult/adolescent male and female in a manner appropriate for a legal proceeding.
- Assess the impact of conditions that can affect the appearance of genitalia on the genital examination findings during forensic examinations.
- Construct a forensic examination of adult/adolescent female and male genitalia with accurate documentation of findings.
Effective as of Winter 2022
Genital Examination: Normal and Abnormal Findings in Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (XFSC 7855) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Advanced Forensic Nurse Examiner
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Genital Examination: Normal and Abnormal Findings in Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (XFSC 7855)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.