- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course is intended for Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, Police/Law Enforcement, Investigators, and Attorneys who work with adult and adolescent victim of sexual assault or who are already Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, or who have taken the Forensic Nurse Examiner training and who are new or returning to their roles as Forensic Nurse Examiners. Prerequisite baseline understanding of forensic science is required. Students will learn about the normal anatomy of the adult and adolescent male and female genitalia, examine common medical conditions seen on genital examination, review examination techniques and documentation of genital injury. An overview of the current research on genital injury and forensic examination will be discussed with respect to medical and legal implications. Upon successful completion of this course, students will earn a digital badge titled "Sexual Assault Examination – Normal and Abnormal Findings".
- FSCT 7840 OR Currently working/returning to work in field of health care, law enforcement or investigation specific to victims of interpersonal violence OR by permission of the forensics department.
Below is one offering of XFSC 7855 for the Fall 2023 term.
Mon Oct 16 - Tue Nov 07 (4 weeks)
- 4 weeks
- CRN 50407
Class meeting times
|Oct 16 - Nov 07||N/A||N/A||Online|
|Oct 24||Tue||14:00 - 17:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Departmental approval needed
This 0.5 credit course is online and will consist of one 3 hour livestream lecture on Tues, Oct 24th (2:00pm – 5:00pm) and 4 hours of asynchronous teaching. BCIT is offering a $75 discount for this term. Please contact the Program Assistants for departmental approval to register (including your BCIT student A0#) at BCIT_Forensics@bcit.ca and confirm that you have taken the prerequisite course FSCT 7840. At that time, the fee waiver for the discount will be provided.
This course offering has been cancelled. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the normal genital anatomy of an adult/adolescent male and female in a manner appropriate for a legal proceeding.
- Assess the impact of conditions that can affect the appearance of genitalia on the genital examination findings during forensic examinations.
- Construct a forensic examination of adult/adolescent female and male genitalia with accurate documentation of findings.
Effective as of Winter 2022
Genital Examination: Normal and Abnormal Findings in Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (XFSC 7855) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Advanced Forensic Nurse Examiner
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Genital Examination: Normal and Abnormal Findings in Sexual Assault Forensic Examinations (XFSC 7855)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.