- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The course covers the theoretical aspects for the specialized care of victims of sexual assault and practical skills that will be utilized in a clinical setting. This course is open to all health care and non-health care professionals admitted to the program with the required prerequisite. This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the International Association of Forensic Nurses, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. IAFN Approval: AU05042020.BCTIA.
- This course is only open to RNs, NPs and MDs or to those medical professionals who have been hired into a SAFE job.
Below is one offering of FSCT 7840 for the Winter 2024 term.
Mon Jan 15 - Thu Feb 15 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 73556
- Domestic fees $875.33International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 15 - Jan 17||Mon, Tue, Wed||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Jan 23||Tue||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Jan 25||Thu||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Jan 30||Tue||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Feb 01||Thu||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Feb 06||Tue||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Feb 08||Thu||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Feb 13||Tue||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
|Feb 15||Thu||16:30 - 21:00||Online|
- Departmental approval needed
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Classes ONLINE via bluejeans: January 15, 16, 17, 23, 25, 30, February 1, 6, 8, 13 and 15. Students need a computer, computer camera and computer microphone to speak in the training and for their presentation assignment. For details on the textbook required, please check: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance/buy_main.asp (BCIT WINTER TERM... DE - FSCT).
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Outline the clinical, forensic and scientific body of knowledge associated with the care of the victims of sexual assault (adult and adolescent).
- Contrast the myths surrounding sexual assault with the realities of sexual assault based on current literature and statistics.
- Assess the interface of the health and justice systems in Canada in relation to sexual assault.
- Outline the professional relationships of the multi disciplinary teams (law enforcement, forensic examiners, social services, health care providers and specialized victims services groups) utilized in the care of victims of sexual assault.
- Develop a comprehensive forensic health care plan for the collection, examination and evaluation of forensic evidence involving victims of sexual assault.
- Outline forensic health care examination of the victims of sexual assault based on nursing/medicine, forensic science, legal and ethical principles.
- Outline how forensic health care examinations of victims of sexual assault are conducted in an objective, respectful and victim-sensitive manner.
- Propose a forensic assessment, forensic evidence collection plan and an evaluation process based on forensic documentation principles.
- Evaluate the forensic assessment process in relation to the victim's physical, emotional and psychosocial well being.
- Develop testimonial skills for the judicial process.
- Assess the applicable forensic nurse examiner standards of practice provincially, nationally and internationally.
Effective as of Fall 2005
Forensic Nurse Examiner Core Education: Theoretical Aspects (FSCT 7840) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Forensic Nurse Examiner Education for RNs
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Forensic Nurse Examiner Core Education: Theoretical Aspects (FSCT 7840)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.