This course is a tutorial course that reviews contents required for an oral examination with Transport Canada Examiner. The main contents that are reviewed are International maritime law embodied in international agreements and conventions; compliance with legislative requirements to ensure SOLAS; International Medical Guides for ship; Maintaining a safe navigational watch; Lifesaving and distress signals; Weather routeing; Ship-handling under various weather conditions; manoeuvring characteristics; anchoring and mooring; operations of small ships power plant; IMO and IAMSAR; response to emergencies; search and rescue; seaworthiness; towing operations; rigging, and other seamanship related topics.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
At the end of the course the students will be able to:
- Explain general manoeuvring characteristics of merchant vessels of all types.
- Describe the effects of wind and current on ship-handling.
- Explain principles to be observed in keeping a safe navigational watch as set out in the STCW code A-VIII/2
- Recognise and understand the meanings of life saving and distress signals.
- Describe components and preparation of voyage planning.
- Use weather forecast in planning of voyage.
- Describe operations of small ships power plant and auxiliary units.
- State the certificates and documents that are required to be carried on board International and Domestic vessels by International Conventions and their validity.
- Describe preparation of a vessel for inspections and surveys.
Effective as of Fall 2008
General Seamanship - Master 3000 GT Domestic (NAUT 1888) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Master 3000GT Domestic
Interested in being notified about future offerings of General Seamanship - Master 3000 GT Domestic (NAUT 1888)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.