After focusing on the fundamentals of digital photography, this course will improve and broaden your photography skills by refining your shooting style and expanding elements of design. Each session, we will review a different approach in photography to challenge and empower your understanding of visual aesthetics. You will learn why it is essential to add and subtract from the scene, evaluate the shot deliberately to obtain a complex composition, and, more importantly, fill up the frame with a distinguishable narrative.
- Students should know manual exposure and preferably basic editing.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of colour wheels and colour schemes
- Compose photographs with acute proficiency
- Appreciate elements of design in photography and discover these constructs in the world around you
- Understand the power of lines, patterns, shapes, texture and forms
- Gain a solid understanding of your style in designing photographs
- Analyze what composition works and what does not in various circumstances
- Explore abstract, colour and minimalistic genres in photography
Effective as of Winter 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Frame Your Vision: The Art of Composition (XBST 1006)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.