This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (As described in the BC Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's examinations for Part B - Paper 1 of a Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Upon successful completion of this course, as well as course POWR 1213, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of the Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the BC Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate plant equipment within the scope of a Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include prime movers and engines, pumps and compressors, lubrication, electricity, controls and instrumentation, heating boilers, steam and water heating systems, heating boiler and heating system controls, auxiliary building systems, vapour compression refrigeration, aborption refrigeration, air conditioning systems, boiler maintenance, and types of plants.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act and applicable regulations, codes and standards.
- Fulfill the examination requirements in the subjects of prime movers and engines, pumps and compressors, lubrication, electricity, controls, instrumentation and computers, heating boilers, heating systems, heating boiler and heating system controls, auxiliary building systems, vapour compression refrigeration, absorption refrigeration, air conditioning, air conditioning systems, boiler maintenance and types of plants.
- Describe the construction, safe and efficient operation and minor repairs of plant equipment, including:
- Steam turbines, gas turbines, internal combustion engines and related plant.
- Pumps and air compressors.
- Electric motors and generators, distribution and protective equipment.
- Low pressure and high pressure heating boilers, fittings, auxiliaries and controls.
- Auxiliary building systems.
- Heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment.
- Compression and absorption refrigeration equipment.
- Describe the processes associated with hot oil systems, natural gas plants, pulp mills and other steam related systems.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fourth Class Part B Paper 1 (POWR 1214)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.