This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the BC Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theortical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's examinations for Part A - Paper 1 of a Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Upon successful completion of this course, as well as course POWR 1214, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfil the requirements of the Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the BC Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate plant equipment within the scope of a Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include applied mathematics, elementary mechanics, elementary thermodynamics, Codes and Standards, Workplace Hazardous Materials (WHMIS), safety, plant fire protection, environment, engineering materials, welding and piping.
Below is one offering of POWR 1213 for the Spring/Summer 2022 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 65127
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
This course must be registered with POWR 1214 No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the Interprovincial examination requirements in the subjects of applied mathematics, elementary mechanics and dynamics, elementary thermodynamics, mechanical drawing, administration, the Act and Regulations, WHMIS, plant safety, plant fire protection, environment, material and welding, piping, high pressure boiler design, high pressure boiler parts and fittings, high pressure boiler operation and feedwater treatment.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act and applicable regulations, codes and standards.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials System (WHMIS).
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the impact of power plant operations on the environment.
- Describe the construction, safe and efficient operation and minor repairs of plant equipment, including:
- High pressure steam boilers and related fittings, auxiliaries and controls.
- Feedwater treatment equipment.
- Environmental protection equipment.
- Piping and piping fittings.
- Apply mathematics and physics concepts to solve problems in ratio and proportion, mensuration, elementary mechanics and elementary thermodynamics.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of plant safety systems and procedures and fire protection equipment.
- Describe typical materials used in the construction of power plant equipment and related welding methods.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fourth Class Part A Paper 1 (POWR 1213)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.