This course is designed for those interested in portable fire extinguisher maintenance. Student will learn the BC Fire Code requirements regarding inspection/ test/and recharge procedures. After successfully completing the course, students can apply to ASTTBC (Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC) to receive certification. Certification requires 3 months documented experience. For further information on certification please contact the ASTTBC at the following link: fireprotection.asttbc.org .
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of OCHS 1410 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Nov 05 - Sun Nov 06 (2 days)
- 2 days
- CRN 39620
Class meeting times
|Nov 05 - Nov 06||Sat, Sun||08:00 - 16:30||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Location: BURNABY Campus. This is a 2-day weekend course offering. Course materials are included and will be handed out in class. To register by phone, call Student Information & Enrollment Services (SIES) at 604-434-1610 / 1-866-434-1610 (press 2 - 'Part-Time Studies Registration'). Online information is available to assist you in spending a weekend at the BCIT Burnaby Campus – including DIRECTIONS, CAMPUS MAP, PARKING and FOOD SERVICES. Check out the following websites: Campus map + directions at www.bcit.ca/about/locations. Parking (including rates) at www.bcit.ca/parking. Food services at www.bcit.ca/foodservices. For further course information, contact Kathy White, OH&S Program Assistant at 604-432-8456 / 1-800-663-6542, ext. 8456 or Kathy_White@bcit.ca. ***** NOTE: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be eligible to apply for certification with ASTTBC (Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC). Details will be provided by the instructor in class. ASTTBC certification information is also available on their website at fireprotection.asttbc.org or contact Erin Macedo, Coordinator, Technical Specialist Registrations 604-585-2788 ext 247
This section is only available for registration starting Wed May 25, 2022 at 9:00 am (PDT)
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Conduct inspection and testing in conformance with applicable codes.
- Determine the class of fire by type.
- Identify and describe the four classes of fire.
- Determine the occupancy classification.
- Identify types of extinguishers and their operation.
- Select fire extinguishers for the applicable hazard.
- Distribute fire extinguishers as required.
- Conduct inspections and annual maintenance.
- Provide a clear and accurate inspection and test reports.
- Identify hydrostatic testing requirements.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Fire Extinguisher Service Technician (OCHS 1410) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
- Fire Protection Inspection and Testing
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fire Extinguisher Service Technician (OCHS 1410)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.