This introductory course helps you apply financial management principles in a not-for-profit organization. It familiarizes the student with accounting essentials, the financial management cycle, budgeting, payroll, and reports and statements. You will explore regulatory compliance and issues specifically related to not-for-profits. Prior accounting knowledge is an asset, but not required. While some numerical competency is necessary together with basic spreadsheet abilities, this is not a course aimed at those wishing to embark on a career in accounting/finance, but rather a general manager hoping to gain basic fluency in fundamental principles of financial management.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the duties and responsibilities of preparers and users of internal and external financial information in a not-for-profit organization.
- Recommend appropriate financial information systems for internal and external audiences.
- Discuss various approaches to budgeting in a not-for-profit organization.
- Describe accounting and auditing standards (types of reports) issued by recognized bodies and associations.
- Explain Federal and Provincial compliance requirements.
- Apply the financial management process within a not-for-profit organization.
- Explain the fiduciary responsibility of Directors.
- Describe the importance of capital reserves to the long-term financial health of the organization.
Effective as of Winter 2018
Financial Management for Nonprofit Organizations (NPMA 1700) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Financial Management for Nonprofit Organizations (NPMA 1700)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.