This course is designed to provide students with hands-on training and application of field techniques used to conduct assessments in support of restoration methods, with an emphasis on stream and riparian habitat. A strong emphasis will be placed on field safety protocols and establishing safety plans. Other modules included in the class may vary among years, but usually include assessments of water quality, stream flow, fish and fish habitat, benthic macroinvertebrates, as well as installation and stability assessments of in-stream wood structures. Modules will focus on proper maintenance and use of survey equipment essential to obtaining accurate results, as well as proper interpretation of field survey results.
- Acceptance into the Ecological Restoration degree program or by departmental approval.
Below is one offering of RENR 7006 for the Fall 2023 term.
Wed Sep 06 - Wed Dec 13 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 50391
Class meeting times
|Sep 06 - Dec 13||Wed||08:30 - 12:30||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Departmental approval needed
This course is reserved for the students in the Ecological Restoration program. Departmental Approval is required. Please contact Giti Abouhamzeh at email@example.com or 778-331-1392 to get permission.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Create and implement a safety plan that is tailored to a specific field site and type of assessment.
- Design a variety of field assessments, emphasizing safety and standard operating procedures.
- Apply proper use and maintenance of field survey equipment essential to obtaining accurate results.
- Create and maintain proper documentation of field survey results.
- Evaluate results of field sampling with an emphasis on assessing ecosystem health and identifying potential stressors.
Effective as of Fall 2023
Field Skills for Ecological Restoration (RENR 7006) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Ecological Restoration
Bachelor of Science Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Field Skills for Ecological Restoration (RENR 7006)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.