Overview of materials used in engineering-metals, ceramics, plastics, semiconductors and wood. Examines microstructure of materials and macroscopic properties such as modulus of elasticity and tensile and shear strengths. Topics such as phase diagrams, solid state transformations, fracture, corrosion and sizing are included. Some laboratory demonstrations.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of ELEX 7040 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Mon Apr 24 (14 weeks)
- 14 weeks
- CRN 70549
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Apr 24||Mon||18:30 - 21:30||Burnaby SW01 Rm. 2005|
Hamed Karimi Sharif
Labs to be scheduled outside of class hours on a schedule to be determined on the first day of class. Registrants who are not BTech Electronics students must have approval from the program head. Please contact Katie Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to be placed on a wait-list if the course is full. No class on Feb 20th (Family Day) or April 10th (Easter Monday). Note: BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of a course cancellation, you will be notified at least two business days prior to the course start. Please ensure that your contact information is current in your myBCIT account.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Outline the various materials, such as metals, plastics, ceramics, and their applications.
- Relate the microstructure structures of engineering materials, such as metals and plastics, to their macroscopic properties.
- Design members of an engineering design with appropriate safety factors.
- Outline the basic processes of phase transformations, phase and equilibria diagrams, and cast structures.
- Become familiar with material failures.
- Analyze stress strain diagrams.
- Select the appropriate material for an engineering design.
Effective as of Winter 2015
Engineering Materials (ELEX 7040) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
Bachelor of Technology Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Engineering Materials (ELEX 7040)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.