Most forms of renewable energy production can be subject to climatic and environmental conditions; solar, wind, micro-hydro, and tidal are examples. This reality has given rise to the development of various improvements and innovations in energy storage technologies such as batteries, capacitors, and mechanical systems. The main topics in this course build upon the foundation provided in earlier courses and include: storing energy and retrieving the stored energy for use when required, electrical code requirements for stored energy systems, production of electrical energy by fuel cells, and monitoring of fuel cell and energy storage systems. Principles are emphasized by student experience which is gained through using lab simulators for fuel cell and battery charging systems. The Canadian Electrical Code requirements for fuel cell and energy storage systems are covered.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Install, connect, maintain and troubleshoot batteries.
- Install, connect, maintain, repair and troubleshoot battery charging systems.
- Install, connect, maintain, repair and troubleshoot inverters.
- Analyze the harmonics produced by inverters using a power quality meter.
- Install, connect, maintain, repair and troubleshoot fuel cell systems.
- Set up, maintain, and repair sensing devices and monitoring for fuel cell and energy storage systems.
- Apply safe work practices in renewable energy storage, production and retrieval systems.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Energy Storage and Fuel Cells (REES 6030) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Renewable Energy Electrical Systems Installation & Maintenance
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Energy Storage and Fuel Cells (REES 6030)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.