- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course focuses on creative design for effective visual pieces of communication for both the web and print media. You will develop some creative thinking techniques, explore what questions to ask your clients, learn how to choose the appropriate fonts and the basics of typography, discover what colors are most suitable for your intended message, and how to arrange your text/images in an attractive and professional manner. A combination of lectures, lab work and discussions with practical assignments, helps prepare you to create messages that capture the attention of your intended audience!
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Explore the differences and similarities between Graphic Design and Fine Arts
- Use the Design Process and Explore ways of solving Design Issues
- Apply Brainstorming Techniques to overcome Obstacles to Creativity
- Create "Thumbnail Sketches" to Develop Concepts
- Evaluate and Apply Principles of Balance
- Demonstrate and Apply some Basics of Colour Theory, and the Colour Wheel
- Create Colour Harmonies
- Describe the Basics of Colour Production
- Explain the Basics of Colour Psychology
- Describe the Main Functions of Colour
- Illustrate the Elements of good Design
- Differentiate between Good Design and Bad Design
- Identify the Criteria for Good Logo Design
- Apply basic Principles of Design and Hierarchy of Info
- Describe the basics of Typography rules
- Use the appropriate typeface to achieve Maximum Impact
- Provide objective, constructive feedback about a given design
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2012
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Design Principles Fastrack (MDIA 1044)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.