- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course teaches students the best practices for design fundamentals across media, producing results suitable for web, mobile applications, and other interactive environments. Students will learn how to present the client’s message or objective in a manner that resonates with the target audience and enhances overall communication, human interaction, and usability. The design fundamental course provides a solid foundation for delivering interactive and engaging content for web and mobile applications. This course also includes screen-design principles, digital colour theory; typography; web and mobile page layout and design; correct use of white space; web and mobile graphics, images, and interface design. Students will have hands-on practice developing a series of conceptual projects that demonstrate their work towards creating a website in collaboration with other courses in this program.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of fundamental design principles for web and mobile applications (screen size, colour, typography, and responsiveness).
- Identify key design messages.
- Compare design principles for digital and print projects.
- Develop digital projects for web and mobile interfaces by applying basic design principles.
- Perform a range of research approaches required for establishing a web and mobile project goals.
- Apply communications theory (rhetoric, nostalgic, semiotics, etc.) when creating graphic assets for multiplatform applications.
- Create a design prototype for desktop, web, or mobile application.
- Design layout and create visual assets for a collaborative web or mobile project.
Effective as of Winter 2015
Design 1 (MDIA 1106) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Digital Design and Development
- Digital Media Foundations
Associate Certificate Part-time
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Full-Stack Web Development
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Design 1 (MDIA 1106)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.