- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course provides the skills to manage a building's decommissioning (end-of-use) in a way that realizes the highest social, environmental and economic benefit. Students will learn how to create a deconstruction plan utilizing the Zero Waste hierarchy of highest and best use and circular economy principles. Regional policies and regulations for demolition and deconstruction will be explored and techniques for deconstruction and building material recovery reviewed. This course complements the Design for Disassembly and Construction Material Flow Analysis courses.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop a Deconstruction Plan including material inventory, material appraisals, and logistics.
- Compare the social, economic and environmental impacts on the community of deconstruction versus traditional demolition.
- Describe the business case for deconstructing a building to the contractor, owner and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrate the ability to think circularly when managing the materials that come from deconstruction.
- Determine the impact of hazardous materials on the deconstruction process and implement a hazardous waste management plan.
- Evaluate existing buildings for the potential value of recovered materials.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Deconstruction Management (XCIR 7510) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Applied Circular Economy: Zero Waste Buildings
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Deconstruction Management (XCIR 7510)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.