This course utilizes Excel’s PowerPivot and PowerBI functionality working on skills to model different types of data and how the data is synthesized into management information. In addition to the these skills, this course will dive into the issues related to big data and analyze big data so information can be integrated into the strategic decision-making process by using data visualization tools. Students will be then able to build custom dashboards to answer management problems.
- Acceptance into the Bachelor of Business Administration program.
Below is one offering of OPMT 7750 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Sat Apr 15 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 89537
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Apr 15||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
|Jan 04 - Apr 15||N/A||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
|Feb 22||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby SE12 Rm. 322|
- Departmental approval needed
This course is restricted to students enrolled in either the old version of the BBA program matrix (pre-Fall 2021) or the Business Intelligence Option of the new BBA matrix. For students on the old matrix, registration approval was automatically granted upon acceptance into the program. For students in the Business Intelligence Option, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and ID for instructions on how to register. This is an online hybrid courses. Asynchronous content will be delivered throughout the week, and weekly labs will be held live via Zoom on Wednesdays evenings. The midterm exam will be held in-person at the Burnaby campus on February 22.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand Data Modelling:
- Structure data gathering to a business need.
- Utilize systems to store, edit, and retrieve required data.
- Determine best practices in data use.
- Discuss ethical and legal considerations in the use of data.
- Understand Data Visualization:
- Build effective data visualizations to communicate meaning through data.
- Determine correct visual tool to analyze multiple data types.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses as appropriate.
- Select tools to effectively convey meaning.
- Understand Power BI:
- Perfom basic application use.
- Describe Business Intelligence (e.g., Online Analytical Processing or OLAP).
- Perform data analysis using MS Power BI toolset.
- Perform time series analysis (forecasting techniques).
- Apply Power BI to Data Mining and Discovery methods.
- Use single and multiple table data sources in Power BI.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Data Modelling and Business Intelligence (OPMT 7750)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.