This course utilizes Excel’s PowerPivot and PowerBI functionality working on skills to model different types of data and how the data is synthesized into management information. In addition to the these skills, this course will dive into the issues related to big data and analyze big data so information can be integrated into the strategic decision-making process by using data visualization tools. Students will be then able to build custom dashboards to answer management problems.
- Acceptance into the Bachelor of Business Administration program.
Below is one offering of OPMT 7750 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 06 - Thu Dec 15 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 48399
Class meeting times
|Sep 06 - Oct 20||Thu||18:00 - 20:00||Online|
|Oct 27||Thu||18:00 - 20:00||Burnaby SE06 Rm. 209|
|Nov 03 - Dec 15||Thu||18:00 - 20:00||Online|
- Departmental approval needed
This course is reserved for students enrolled in the old BBA matrix. Students accepted into the new matrix starting Fall 2021 will be withdrawn from this course if registered. Please contact BBA@bcit.ca for more information. Enrollment is restricted to students accepted into the Bachelor of Business Administration Degree Program. Registration approval is automatically given upon full acceptance into the part-time program. This is an online course with asynchronous lectures, scheduled weekly labs on Thursdays from 1800-2000, and an in-person midterm exam at the Burnaby campus on October 27th from 1800-2100.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand Data Modelling:
- Structure data gathering to a business need.
- Utilize systems to store, edit, and retrieve required data.
- Determine best practices in data use.
- Discuss ethical and legal considerations in the use of data.
- Understand Data Visualization:
- Build effective data visualizations to communicate meaning through data.
- Determine correct visual tool to analyze multiple data types.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses as appropriate.
- Select tools to effectively convey meaning.
- Understand Power BI:
- Perfom basic application use.
- Describe Business Intelligence (e.g., Online Analytical Processing or OLAP).
- Perform data analysis using MS Power BI toolset.
- Perform time series analysis (forecasting techniques).
- Apply Power BI to Data Mining and Discovery methods.
- Use single and multiple table data sources in Power BI.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Data Modelling and Business Intelligence (OPMT 7750)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.