Harness the power of Google Maps to spice up your Web site with maps and geographic data. Each week students examine examples of Google Maps and then add that functionality to the Web site that they create in class.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Understand basic principles of geography such as latitude and longitude, and time zones
- List some uses for geography on a Web site
- Explain the difference between XML, KML, and GeoXML
- Describe a Web server – client environment
Technical or Software Skills:
- Create Google Maps with various components that Google Maps offers
- Find and use third-party data sources for display in Google Maps
- Create KML by hand from a variety of data sources
Effective as of Fall 2011
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Custom Google Maps (GIST 0291)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.