This course provides an introduction to sources of renewable energy for heat and power and how they can support sustainability, energy and greenhouse gas management goals across the community. Students will be able to identify sources of renewable energy for heat and power and how they fit into the community energy and emissions planning process. Students will be able to move from project concept to implementation and work with consultants to develop pre-feasibility and feasibility studies. Students will be able to explain factors affecting project viability, outline issues that may arise during project planning and implementation and identify project planning and construction funding sources.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Assess different types of renewable energy and how they fit into the community energy and emissions planning process.
- Justify the benefits communities can realize from renewable energy.
- Select the elements of a good business case.
- Advocate for ways in which renewable energy supports community planning.
- Interpret planning tools that set the stage for renewable energy projects.
- Formulate preliminary questions needed to assess renewable energy opportunities.
- Plan for ways to move from renewable energy concepts to implementation.
- Assess the types of risk involved in financing and implementing projects.
- Interpret the key aspects of a governance plan and how it applies to different levels of equipment ownership including questions to ask when establishing the governance model.
- Interpret lessons learned through case studies analysis.
Effective as of Winter 2016
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Community-Based Renewable Energy (CESA 5210)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.