This course presents an overview of various energy policies, laws, codes, standards, and building rating systems for existing buildings including the Model National Energy Code of Canada, ASHRAE Standards 90.1, BC Energy Code, Vancouver Energy Bylaw and LEEDTM Building Rating Systems. The course also introduces energy requirements, targets, and performance measures currently mandated or suggested as best practices, as well as upcoming further reduction requirements.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Identify various energy codes and efficiency standards applicable to energy operations in BC.
- Comply with various energy conservation and reduction codes, standards and laws.
- Outline the application of green building rating systems for existing buildings as an energy management strategy and energy performance measure.
- Summarize BC provincial legislation concerning energy reduction and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Outline the potential and shortcomings of existing and emerging building bylaws, and codes and standards with respect to achieving the intended short and long term objectives of energy management.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Codes and Standards (CESA 5500) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Codes and Standards (CESA 5500)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.