This course prepares students to write the Carpenter Interprovincial Exam to receive the Certificate of Qualification with a Red Seal Endorsement. It refreshes the theoretical knowledge needed to complement the required practical experience. This course is intended for apprentices who failed the Interprovincial exam on their previous attempt and for workers who meet the program challenge requirements as specified by SkilledTradesBC (Completion of 9,720 workplace hours). Contact SkilledTradesBC (tel 778-328-8700 or toll free within BC 1-866-660-6011) to determine eligibility and to schedule an examination. Upon completion of the CQ Refresher you may be required to submit your BCIT Statement of Completion to SkilledTradesBC.
- Minimum of 9,540 hours workplace experience in the trade or successful completion of all 4 years of Carpenter technical training and 6360 workplace hours.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the construction of commercial/residential concrete forming systems including but not limited to footings, walls, suspended slabs and stairs.
- Describe concrete materials, types, additives and treatments.
- Calculate job-site material requirements.
- Describe site preparation, excavation, and pile and shoring systems.
- Select wood framing systems and materials.
- Describe the construction of walls, floors, roofs and stairs using standard wood framing practices.
- Use math to determine building location, stair layout, rafter calculations, and material volumes.
- Establish elevations and site layout using a builder’s level and a theodolite.
- Interpret the building code as it applies to residential wood frame calculations and construction.
- Interpret safety and workplace documentation.
- Interpret construction drawings.
- Describe the planning and installation of interior and exterior doors, windows and finishing systems.
- Describe renovation-specific support and construction activities.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2011
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Carpentry CQ Refresher (CARP 0100)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.