Cardiovascular Perfusion Clinical 2 is a continuation of PERF 8100. In this clinical course students will gain hands on experience in the preparation and application of the Cardiovascular Bypass System (CPB). Learning objectives will be taught through lectures, wet lab simulations and under observation in the operating room (OR). This course contains the foundation of learning that must be understood in order for the Cardiovascular Perfusionist to provide effective and safe treatment options to patients.
Below is one offering of PERF 8200 for the Spring/Summer 2022 term.
Mon Aug 29 - Fri Dec 09 (14 weeks)
- 14 weeks
- CRN 66977
Class meeting times
|Aug 29 - Dec 09||N/A||N/A||Other|
- Clinical lab format.
- Departmental approval needed
This Clinical Practicum is reserved for students who have been accepted into the Cardiovascular Perfusion Advanced Specialty Certificate program. Contact details for the PTS Program Assistant for Perfusion: Carmen Chen 604-451-7137, email email@example.com
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Prepare describe and operate the safe function of pumps and circuit components.
- Select appropriate supplies and pump circuitry to meet procedural and patient requirements.
- Prepare and operate oxygen analyzing equipment.
- Prepare and assemble the following pump circuit components using safe infection control and sterile technique
- Centrifugal pumps
- Roller pumps
- Pump circuits
- Tubing, connectors
- Suckers, vents
- Gas lines
- Manifold and accessory lines.
- Demonstrate efficient and effective ECC priming techniques.
- Apply technical skills learned to effectively troubleshoot the most common pump setup/priming issues.
- Describe and apply techniques for Vacuum and Kinetic Assisted Drainage.
- Perform safe and controlled initiation of CPB.
- Display knowledge of normal coagulation/anticoagulation during CPB.
- Assemble appropriate cannulation equipment required for various cardiovascular procedures.
- Recognize the use and limitations of the various cannulation techniques used during cardiovascular surgery.
- Demonstrate appropriate principles and techniques of myocardial preservation.
- Apply knowledge from Year 1 didactic course objectives to provide safe and effective maintenance of CPB during cases.
- Demonstrate safe and effective temperature management during CPB.
- Handle, store, and administer blood products according to established protocols.
- Operate blood analyzing equipment (ACT, Blood Gas machines, inline monitors, etc).
- Prepare and operate hemodynamic monitoring devices (pressure line systems, monitors, etc).
- Recognize and evaluate physiological parameters during CPB and manage case accordingly utilizing: physiological monitors, inline monitors, laboratory results, point-of-care analyzers, cerebral monitors etc. and manage with appropriate adjustments and interventions such as addition of fluids, drugs, etc.
- Demonstrate the principles of safe and controlled weaning from CPB.
- Communicate effectively during the procedure with all members of the health care team.
- Apply effective time management skills.
- Review and demonstrate techniques for re-initiation of bypass for various physiological conditions post CPB (ventricular arrhythmias, low output syndrome, RV failure, etc).
- Review all emergency CPB procedures, and safely demonstrate them in wet lab/simulator.
- Recognize that clinical perfusion is an evolving profession, and apply new knowledge and skills, and technological innovations to practice (e.g., participates in and responds to clinical research, etc).
- Complete case post-op performance review, and set goals for improvement.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Cardiovascular Perfusion Clinical 2 (PERF 8200) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cardiovascular Perfusion Clinical 2 (PERF 8200)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.