Designed to allow the student to gradually gain experience in assisting the Cardiologist to perform diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterization procedures and hemodynamic calculations. Enables acquisition of unique, clinical site-specific skills to perform hemodynamic monitoring, hemodynamic calculations, arrhythmia recognition, quality assurance and report generation on a variety of physiological monitoring systems. Prepare and maintain a sterile field, prepare an operative site, identify and pass surgical instruments to the Cardiologist performing both diagnostic and interventional catheterization procedures. In addition to these skills, you may be required to maintain hemostasis, and apply proper surgical dressings post case Participate in Cardiovascular Patient Care (Circulator) duties, first delivered in CARD 3360 and CARD 4330. Assist in selection of surgical supplies for catheterization, the opening and passing of sterile supplies onto a sterile field, proper patient placement on the x-ray table, response to patient needs and delivery of patient teaching as it applies to Cardiovascular manoeuvres and testing. In addition, you may be asked to assess the patient and document patient data, prepare and operate a contrast injector, operate a cardiac defibrillator, and administer medications as directed by the physician.
- All theory courses
Below is one offering of CARD 6600 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Sat Dec 30 (22 weeks)
- 22 weeks
- CRN 85511
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Dec 30||N/A||N/A||Other|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Clinical lab format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Clinical placement must be completed in order for students to graduate with an Advanced Certificate in Cardiac Sciences - Cardiovascular Technology Option. Clinical applications must be submitted to the Clinical Coordinator for approval before the required deadline.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Perform diagnostic and interventional procedures and hemodynamic calculations.
- Perform hemodynamic calculations, arrhythmia recognition, quality assurance and report generation on physiological monitoring systems.
- Prepare a sterile field on operative site.
- Identify and pass surgical instruments to the Cardiologist performing diagnostic and interventional procedures.
- Assist in preparing the sterile field, placement of the patient on the table, respond to the patient needs and deliver patient teaching needs document.
Effective as of Winter 2018
Cardiovascular Clinical (CARD 6600) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiac Sciences (Cardiovascular Technology Option)
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cardiovascular Clinical (CARD 6600)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.