- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. The exact cost will be displayed prior to confirming registration.
This is the third of five theoretical courses intended to introduce you to the field of Cardiac Rhythm Device Technology. This course is designed to give you a more in-depth understanding of cardiac rhythm device implant. The focus is on device and lead testing techniques to determine the optimal intraoperative placement of a cardiac rhythm management device (CRMD) system in the patient. We will discuss the surgical procedure, pacemaker, ICD, and CRT lead implant and assessment. In addition, CRMD system technology will be examined as well as new or alternative technologies utilized in clinical practice. Other topics include implant indications, acute and delayed patient complications, and lead extraction.
Below is one offering of CARD 5302 for the Fall 2023 term.
Tue Sep 05 - Fri Nov 24 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 35423
Class meeting times
|Sep 05 - Nov 24||N/A||N/A||Distance|
- Guided learning format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This online Learning Hub course is for students in the Cardiac Rhythm Device Technology Option and Electrophysiology Technology Option programs. Students are responsible for ensuring prerequisite courses are completed PRIOR to registration. See course description for a list of individual prerequisites. IMPORTANT NOTE: Registration is available on an individual basis for those who wish to take continuing education credits. Registration does not imply admission to the program. This course may be subject to cancellation if registration numbers are low.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the early history of CRMD pulse generator development and identify current indications for CRMD implant.
- Explain the surgical procedure and describe the accessory equipment utilized during CRMD implant.
- Identify the various components of pacemaker, ICD and CRT pulse generators and leads.
- Describe new or alternative technologies used to benefit the patient with a CRMD indication.
- Apply theoretical concepts of pacing and defibrillation therapy to CRMD system testing at implant.
- Identify potential patient complications related to CRMD implant.
- Describe the techniques, indications and contraindications for lead extraction.
Effective as of Fall 2017
Cardiac Rhythm Device Implant (CARD 5302) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiac Sciences (Cardiac Rhythm Device Technology Option)
Advanced Certificate Part-time
- Cardiac Sciences (Electrophysiology Technology Option)
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Cardiac Rhythm Device Implant (CARD 5302)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.