- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course involves the students undertaking an independent applied research project conducted on the BCIT campus or carrying out an applied research project developed in conjunction with an industrial partner. The project should provide a solution to a problem posed by society or industry and related to SGST. It will be conducted on the BCIT Burnaby campus and using the campus facilities or at the industrial partner’s premises. The project proposal will be developed independently by the student with assistance by the designated faculty supervisor and industry sponsor (when applicable). The project should be of relevance to SGST, and the scope should be sufficient to demonstration of the student’s ability to transfer knowledge of SGST in a practical setting. Once the student has prepared a proposal for their project a panel will be formed and will review/evaluate the proposal. The same panel will assemble after the student has completed in order to evaluate the final project report and defense. The objectives and deliverables for a given project will be outlined in the project proposal developed by the student in consultation with their faculty supervisor and industry sponsor (when applicable). Interim deliverables will be evaluated by the faculty supervisor to determine progress, ensure the student is on track, and provide feedback. Deliverables common to every project will be a final report outlining the project and results, and a formal defense of these results. This report will be evaluated according to criteria established by the project evaluation panel when meeting initially to approve the project proposal.
Below is one offering of SGST 9410 for the Spring/Summer 2024 term.
Thu May 09 - Thu Nov 28 (30 weeks)
- 30 weeks
- CRN 68709
- Domestic fees $3286.30International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|May 09 - Nov 28
|18:00 - 21:00
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Registration in individual courses will be open to qualified candidates for professional development. Registration approval is automatically granted upon acceptance into the program. Note: BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of a course cancellation, you will be notified at least two business days prior to the course start. Please ensure that your contact information is current.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze the needs and requirements of industry in the area of Smart Grid Systems and Technologies
- Evaluate the current state of research as well as technology development initiatives in industry
- Plan a complex research project to be carried out in an industrial setting
- Apply research skills and methodologies learned in previous courses to a large-scale industrial project
- Apply technical writing skills to produce professional and concise documentation as part of project deliverables
- Develop a business case for the project in conjunction with the industrial sponsor, considering economic and market factors that affect the commercial implementation of the project
- Provide recommendations for revisions of current practices or standards used by industry based on project findings
- Apply project management techniques in order to carry out the industrial project in an organized fashion and satisfy all stakeholders
- Produce a detailed final technical report which encompasses project findings and conclusions
Effective as of Fall 2021
Capstone Project (SGST 9410) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
- Smart Grid Systems and Technologies
Master of Engineering Full-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Capstone Project (SGST 9410)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.