This mandatory, non-credit day-long seminar will be taken at the start of the program, within the first term of studies. The seminar will provide students with the tools and techniques to engage in applied research activities leading to the discovery solutions to real-world problems using case studies and examples of applied research projects. A portion of the day will be dedicated to a workshop in which students develop a preliminary plan for an applied research project defined by the instructor, then present their plan to the rest of the group. The content introduced in this seminar will be reinforced throughout the taught-course stage of the program as students will be required to complete several team-based and independent mini-projects in each course throughout the program.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Provide an overview of the applied research process and ethical considerations
- Differentiate between basic and applied research and cite examples as needed
- Describe the common methodologies, tools and techniques used for applied research
- Describe the fundamentals of intellectual property development and its context within BCIT
- Develop a preliminary plan for an applied research project defined by the instructor for the course
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills in the presentation of a preliminary research plan
Effective as of Fall 2021
Applied Research Methods, Policies, and Ethics (SGST 9010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
- Smart Grid Systems and Technologies
Master of Engineering Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Applied Research Methods, Policies, and Ethics (SGST 9010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.