Each student will undertake a project related to their specific discipline or field of application (e.g., hydrotechnical, geotechnical, transportation, electrical) to guide the project topic. A GIS problem will be identified by the student and approved by the instructor. The student will need to apply the knowledge and skills gained from the previous courses to their specific problem. The student will identify the existing information sources to be used, propose additional data gathering if necessary, and describe the analytical steps to be followed. Once the approach is approved by the instructor, the student will then work on the project tasks to completion, and finish by delivering the expected GIS analytical and output products including: a written report, a voice annotated power point, and as applicable, e.g., database, map products and visualizations.
Below is one offering of GIST 8150 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Mon Mar 27 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 87501
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Mar 27||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course is for students in the GIS Advanced Certificate program who have completed all of the prerequisites. To receive registration approval, please email your BCIT Student ID to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Define a GIS problem applicable to their discipline
- Develop a solution to the problem using GIS techniques
- Apply the technical, data modelling, and analytical skills learned in the prerequisite courses to the identified problem
- Document the solution in writing and orally
- Deliver the geospatial product(s) developed as part of their GIS application
Effective as of Fall 2016
Capstone Project (GIST 8150) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Capstone Project (GIST 8150)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.