This course provides an introduction to campground operations based on the Canadian Tourism Human Resources Council Standards. Topics include professionalism, legislation, planning, marketing, financial management, human resource management, safety and security, facility management, office operations, retail operations and guest relations. operations based on the standards developed by
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
Module 1 - Professionalism
- Define professional attributes.
- Explain the importance of professional development activities.
Module 2 - Legislation
- Explain the importance of complying with local, regional and provincial legislation as it applies to campground operations.
Module 3 - Planning
- Describe importance of developing business plan.
- Produce a business plan.
Module 4 - Marketing
- Define the elements of a marketing plan.
- Develop a marketing plan for a recreational facility.
Module 5 - Financial Management
- Prepare a budget for a recreational facility.
- Describe accounts receivable procedures.
- Describe accounts payable procedures.
- Explain how to maintain a payroll.
Module 6 - Human Resource Management
- Develop a set of 6-8 interview questions for potential employees.
- Develop job descriptions.
- List the benefits of training.
- Develop a meeting agenda.
- State strategies for resolving conflict on the job.
Module 7 - Safety and Security
- Define safety and security.
- State guidelines for maintaining a safe campground.
- Establish emergency procedures.
Module 8 - Facility Management
- Establish campground policies.
- State guidelines for campground maintenance.
Module 9 - Office Operations
- Describe procedures for logging reservation requests.
- Describe how to set up a reservation system.
- Describe how to respond to reservation enquiries.
Module 10 - Retail Operations
- Establish procedures for maintaining inventory.
- Identify factors influencing product pricing.
- Describe how to provide information about products and services.
Module 11 - Guest Relations
- Outline benefits of promoting tourism.
- Describe campground operator's role in promoting tourism.
- Describe how to respond to seasonal enquiries.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Campground Operations (PRKS 3312)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.