- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Sponsored and developed by the Canadian Home Builders Association of BC, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and the Homeowner Protection Office of BC. This course provides knowledge of the background building science that allows durable building envelopes to be constructed or restored. Note: This course was formerly available as BLDG 0137. This course may be eligible for students to receive funding through the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant at www.bcit.ca/financial-aid/strongerbc-future-skills-grant. Students register themselves into the course, then apply for the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant to cover payment, if eligible.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the movement of moisture into the building envelope, and describe the conditions that cause wood rot and how moisture movement can be controlled.
- Identify air and vapour barriers and their role in minimizing condensation.
- Know how walls are exposed to rainwater and how they can be constructed to eliminate potential problems.
- Mitigate water leakage through and around window and doors, window standards, types of window assemblies, and the different types of window systems, including face sealed windows, concealed barrier windows and rain screen windows.
- Prepare construction detail of roofs, decks, balconies and walkways.
- Understand the role of the building envelope consultant, the role of the general contractor and quality assurance protocols for construction.
Effective as of Fall 2010
Building Envelope Solutions (BLDG 1137) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Building Envelope Solutions (BLDG 1137)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.