This course introduces the student to oxyacetylene welding. This course will familiarize the student with the safe use of gas welding equipment, types of welded joints, and will demonstrate preferred techniques for oxyacetylene welding. There are two aims for this course. The first aim is to introduce students to oxyacetylene welding safety, fundamentals and equipment. The second is to ensure that students can demonstrate the safe use of oxyacetylene welding equipment, and can correctly demonstrate welding and testing techniques.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
- Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify and demonstrate safe workshop practices.
- Identify workshop hazards.
- Identify and describe BCIT workshop policies.
- Identify and demonstrate the use of personal safety equipment.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene safety.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene fundamentals.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene equipment.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene welding techniques.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene cutting techniques.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene welding faults.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene cutting faults.
- Identify and describe oxyacetylene weld inspection procedures.
- Perform fillet welds.
- Perform welds on corner, lap and tee joints.
- Perform vertical welds
- Perform free-hand cutting techniques
- Perform guided cutting techniques.
- Perform brazing techniques.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Basic Skills: Oxyacetylene Cut and Weld (WELD 0105)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.