- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course introduces the student to basic control engineering, instrumentation systems, and the measurement of process values including temperature, pressure, level, flow, and other general measurement processes. It also includes an introduction to the transmission of signals as it applies to marine controls.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the main components of the control loops and their functions.
- Describe how to measure temperature in a process loop using a thermocouple, a thermistor, and a RTD.
- Sketch and describe various temperature measuring instruments.
- Sketch and describe various types of pressure measuring instruments.
- Sketch and describe various types of level measuring instruments.
- Sketch and describe various types of flow measuring instruments.
- Describe how speed, torque, viscosity, salinity, O2, and CO2 are measured. Sketch and describe some of those instruments.
- Describe the application of photoelectric cells.
- Describe the common types of fire, smoke, and flame detectors.
- Describe how control signals are transmitted.
Effective as of Winter 2016
Automation and Controls 1 (MEOC 1213) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Marine Engineering
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Automation and Controls 1 (MEOC 1213)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.