This five-week program introduces technical language in an applied setting. Course work will include both in-class theory and practical hands-on in the shop lessons. The course work is designed so that each participant is able to learn, and practice the technical language necessary for entrance into BCIT Trades and Technical Studies programs.
- BCIT ISEP Level 5.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Apply study skills.
- Develop safety awareness.
- Identify and comply with Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Regulations for shop situations.
- Apply general safety procedures.
- Identify and use personal protective equipment.
- Describe how fires start and identify fire prevention equipment.
- Describe and apply proper methods for preventing fires.
- Identify and use fasteners and fittings.
- Identify metals.
- Identify general characteristics of wood.
- Identify and use shop tools.
- Identify and use measuring tools and precision instruments.
- Measure torque.
- Identify and use basic hand tools.
- Identify and use power and pneumatic tools.
- Use information.
- Locate information.
- Work with charts, graphs, and shop drawings.
- Describe and work with internal combustion engines, two stroke, four stroke, and diesel.
- Describe exhaust and emissions.
- Describe heat, insulation, convection, conduction, radiation.
- Describe lubricants.
- Describe engine cooling systems.
- Describe fuel and induction systems.
- Describe electricity and electrical systems.
- Circuits, ohms law, alternating current, direct current.
Effective as of Fall 2010
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Applied Technical Literacy (ACES 0100)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.