- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
In ‘Applied Internet of Things (IOT)’ students will develop an understanding of the practical implementation of IoT in different market segments by analyzing current real-world case studies. Each case study will discuss the gap that IoT is filling, the key benefits to implementing this application and some of the challenges inherent in adopting this new technology. Case studies are chosen to demonstrate innovative and cutting-edge applications of IoT. In exploring these new applications, students will develop an appreciation for the creative solutions offered by IoT. Key market segments covered in the course include transportation, utilities, Smart City, and health. The case studies will touch on applications that help improve safety, increase efficiency, and provide better solutions to common issues. Examples of what students will learn include ‘robot sniffers’ that detect gaseous contaminants or how 5G hospital clinicians, with the aid of a VR headset, are able to visualize exactly what the paramedic sees in the ambulance and remotely direct the paramedic, with a joystick, in real time to perform any necessary procedures. They will also learn how IoT can help protect and sustain our fragile world by collecting valuable information about ocean pollution, climate change, and biodiversity. The course is open to anyone interested in learning how IoT can be utilized in key market segments. It is geared for people who wish to explore career opportunities, upskill, or want to increase their understanding of digital transformation. It is also an excellent course for executives and decision makers who are called upon to evaluate and implement IoT solutions in a wide range of sectors – public and private. With better data available and new ways to use data, IoT is providing innovative ways to creatively solve new challenges and address and fix old problems. This course shines a light on how IoT is changing the way we work and live. This course is part of a training initiative to provide workers with new skills needed to support a clean economy. It is temporarily being fully funded for Canadian citizens and permanent residents by Canadian Colleges for a Resilient Recovery (C2R2) and the Government of Canada. Please contact Jbassan@bcit.ca for more information and to register.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of APRE 5102 for the Fall 2023 term.
Start any time
- 26 weeks
- CRN 48709
- Domestic fees $478.48International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 26 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you immediately after registering. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This program is part of a training initiative to provide workers with new skills needed to support a clean economy. It is temporarily being fully funded for Canadian citizens and permanent residents by Canadian Colleges for a Resilient Recovery (C2R2)and the Government of Canada. Please contact Jbassan@bcit.ca for more information and to register. If you do not have a BCIT student ID number and would like to take this microcredential please create one first before emailing the IoT department with your registration request. Create one by clicking here: secure.bcit.ca/sis/reg/
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the problems or business needs IoT helps to address in key market segments
- Describe the creative solutions that IoT can offer to enhance business solutions
- Describe the benefits afforded to key marked segments by using an IoT solution
- Describe the challenges faced when implementing IoT solutions
- Describe the metrics used by key marked segments to determine measurements of success.
- Analyze current case studies from key marked segments to determine the value of implementing IoT
Effective as of Fall 2021
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Applied Internet of Things (IoT) (APRE 5102)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.