This fifth-level computer programming course follows on from COMP 3601 or COMP 3656 and assumes students capable of writing significant software applications in Java and understand how to build basic Java Web Applications. COMP 4613 continues the exploration of JEE in regard to web applications and Servlet APIs. Students must provide their own current model PC, i5 or higher equivalent processor, 8 GB of RAM minimum, and 256 GB minimum storage. High-speed internet access is needed for online sections and for homework. Labs and exercises focus on web application design, organization and deployment using industry standards to develop and deploy advanced Java web applications using build tools such as Maven. Topics include: Web tier programming with variety of Java technologies such as JSP, JSTL, JSP EL, JSP custom tags, DisplayTag and popular Java web development frameworks such as PrimeFaces. Participants will create and use data sources, then practice how to encrypt and decrypt sensitive data, while it us in rest or in transit. Please Note: Attendance, participation in class and the BCIT Learning Hub are required. Students may have an average total time commitment of 14 total hours each week; 3 hours of class time, a 1-hour online component and 10+ hours of homework. Upon successful completion students will have a better understanding of Java Web App Development and are prepared move on to COMP 4656 Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) Programming. COMP 4613 is required in the Advanced Java Application Development (AJD) Associate Certificate and is an elective the CST/PTS Diploma and is offered once per year in September.
Below is one offering of COMP 4613 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 22 - Thu Dec 08 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 39008
Class meeting times
|Sep 22 - Dec 08||Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
|Sep 22 - Dec 08||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for Departmental approval. Include your Student number (A0#) and COMP__ and preferred CRN __ and Program Declaration____. Course is 48 hours - 36 hours synchronous online and 12 hours asynchronous activities/labs. The class meets once per week for 3 hours online and requires an additional 1 hour per week asynchronously. Late registration is not permitted. The start and end dates have been changed from Wednesday, September 21 – December 7 to Thursday, September 22 – December 8.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Design, code, build, and deploy Java Web Applications.
- Further examine the use of Servlets, HTTP Filters and web listeners as application controllers.
- Build and deploy Java Web Applications into application servers using Maven and Ant.
- Configure Application Servers and Web Application modules.
- Demonstrate the merits of design and organization in a Java Web Application.
- Build dynamic presentation layers JavaServer Pages and request dispatching.
- Construct reusable components through the use of Custom Tags, Tag Handlers and DispalyTag.
- Authenticate and Authorize application users with programmatic and declarative techniques.
- Encrypt data at rest using jasypt API.
- Encrypt data in transit using secure protocols such as HTTPs
- Develop an in-depth understanding of Servlet 3.x, JSP and JSP Expression Language.
- Utilize the JSTL API to develop Java web applications.
- Integrate JSF components into Java web applications.
- Build web application using PrimeFace web framework.
Effective as of Fall 2021
Advanced Java Web Development (COMP 4613) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Advanced Java Web Development (COMP 4613)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.