In this advanced-level Houdini course, students explore a variety of industry-standard techniques and methodologies for procedural modeling to produce effects such as hair and fur, fluid, and destruction, and for scripting using the Houdini surface and dynamic operators. With an emphasis on project based learning, students experiment with procedural modeling techniques in Houdini and create 3D environments such as cities or forests. In addition, utilizing VEX scripting in Houdini, students create small tools and functions inside Houdini that enhance the production process. This course also covers creating advanced visual effects such as hair, fur and crowds.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the logic of procedural modeling
- Create a proper plan for producing a VFX sequence
- Design a plan for a procedural environment such as a city, forest, desert
- Work with a variety of solvers in surface and dynamic operators
- Produce fur effects for organic models
- Create hair effects for human models
- Develop fluid effects such as liquid and gas volume
- Create cloth and fabric effects
- Design and create a guided destruction sequence
- Apply proper physics logic for realistic dynamic effects
- Implement appropriate collision logic for rigid bodies, cloth and particles
- Setup camera and lights for the effects shots
- Finalize and optimize VFX shots for rendering
- Render realistic procedural visual effects shots
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2021
Advanced Houdini (MDIA 3740) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Houdini for Visual Effects and Dynamics
Statement of Completion Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Advanced Houdini (MDIA 3740)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.