This course introduces you to the art of motion graphics and visual effects using Adobe After Effects. You will explore a variety of post-production techniques that are essential for creating polished videos for online, TV, or film productions. We will review the program interface, build compositions, import variant vector and raster footage items, and have an in-depth study of animation, expressions, and animation-curves. You will be introduced to different masking techniques, including roto-scoping and layer track-matting. You will work with lights and 3D cameras, and build virtual sets. You will apply keying blue or green screen shots as well as 2D and 3D tracking. You will create different styles of titles and credit sequences through applying text animation.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MDIA 1280 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Sep 12 - Mon Nov 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 43422
Class meeting times
|Sep 12 - Nov 28||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course will be delivered entirely online, however, is an asynchronous course which does not require that you meet each week at a specific time. It is important you have a stable and consistent internet connection to access course content. Please log into learn.bcit.ca using your BCIT student email and password on the first day of class. You will require access to the Adobe Creative Cloud in order to complete this course. Students who are currently registered in one or more part-time courses can purchase a subscription for Adobe Creative Cloud Pro at a discount through BCIT’s new software portal kb.bcit.ca/student/adobe-creative-cloud-subscription-part-time-student-3130 If this section is full, you can add your contact information to the School of Business Waitlist: sobptswaitlist.bcitsitecentre.ca
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Create motion graphics and visual effects using Adobe After Effects.
- Apply post-production techniques to create polished videos.
- Create new projects, import and organize media files including images, illustrations, video, and audio files.
- Build, manage, and nest composition.
- Animate variant transform properties for a layer as needed.
- Control the behaviour of an animation by adjusting its curve line.
- Add expressions to automate animation.
- Mask vector layers.
- Rotoscope or animate a layer mask.
- Create basic virtual sets using 3D lights, cameras, and layer alignment in a 3D space.
- Change the playback of a movie clip using time-remapping.
- Animate text layers using the Range Selector tool.
- Create text that follows a curved path.
- Key blue or green screen shots.
- Track details in a video clip and match their position to other visual elements.
- Render the final results as a QuickTime movie.
- Create different styles of titles and credit sequences through applying text animation.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Adobe After Effects (MDIA 1280) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Video Production and Editing
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Adobe After Effects (MDIA 1280)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.