Skip to main content
International Mobility Opportunities

Outbound Student Guide


Going abroad as part of your BCIT studies can be an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience allowing you to broaden your horizons.

This guide is intended to help you prepare for a safe and successful trip. Please make sure attend any pre-departure orientation scheduled by your program area as well.

Key documents for international travel

Outbound student mobility involves crossing international borders. It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all of the requirements and have valid travel documents to enter the destination country, any countries visited in transit (such as a layover in a third country), and to return to Canada.

Learn more about some of the key documents and considerations below.


A valid passport is generally required to travel internationally. If you already have a passport, check the expiry date and note that some countries require a minimum validity of several months even beyond your intended stay. If you passport expires soon you may need to renew it before your trip.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can use IRCC’s Who can renew a passport tool to help determine how to apply if you need a new passport.

If you are not a citizen of Canada, you may need to contact your country’s embassy or consulate to learn how to apply for a new passport.

Entry Requirements

BCIT’s outbound student mobility opportunities are generally located in countries that do not require a visa for Canadian citizens. However, it’s always a good idea to double check the exact entry requirements for any country you plan to visit on your trip.

If you are not a citizen of Canada, you must ensure that you have the necessary travel documents to enter any country you plan to visit on your trip and also to return to Canada upon completion of your trip. This may include a visa or an electronic travel authorization.

Learn more about entry requirements for specific counties below.

BCIT International Travel Register

You must submit your information through the BCIT International Travel Register if you plan to travel outside of Canada as part of your academic program at BCIT.

This helps BCIT leadership to account for and provide urgent assistance to any students or faculties abroad should any critical situation arise while you are outside of Canada.

Medical insurance

If you’re heading abroad as part of your studies you should have BOTH:

  • BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), and
  • an emergency travel insurance policy (such as the BCITSA Health & Dental Plan)

Post-graduation work permit considerations

(only for international students)

If you hold a Canadian study permit and are considering studying a term or more abroad, you should be aware that it could have implications should you wish to later apply for a PGWP.

The key point to understand is that only time spent studying towards your program in Canada may count towards the length of your PGWP. If you complete a program but didn’t study at least 8 months of that program in Canada then you may not be eligible for a PGWP at all.

For more information, visit our PGWP page.