This course will develop knowledge of building enclosures to meet the requirements of the Upper Steps of the BC Energy Step Code including the Passive House standard. The course starts with a lecture to refresh understanding of building science as it relates to building enclosure solutions and the BC Energy Step Code. In a full day students will apply this knowledge by constructing and evaluating various wall assembly solutions based on sample projects. The strategies and details constructed aim to facilitate a critical comparison of the performance, constructability, and costs of different approaches to meet the thermal energy demand (TEDI) metrics of the BC Energy Step Code or the Passive House standard. Students will compare materials (membranes, insulation, tapes, flashing, fasteners, etc.) in the context of the building assemblies. Learning will cover various assembly details (above and below grade walls, roofs, etc) and detailing solutions for interfaces, windows, and penetrations.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- This course has been retired and is no longer offered. Find other Flexible Learning courses that may interest you.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain fundamentals of building science (heat, air, and moisture transmission) in the context of various near Zero Energy Building assemblies.
- Compare material properties (membranes, insulation, tapes, fasteners, etc.) in the application of various near Zero Energy Building assemblies.
- Practice construction of various enclosure solutions to achieve the airtightness (ACH) metrics and thermal performance (TEDI) metrics of the BC Energy Step Code and the Passive House standard.
- Compare the performance, constructability, and costs of several different approaches to meet the thermal performance (TEDI) and airtightness (ACH) metrics.
- Be aware of the importance of planning and coordination from design through to construction and testing to meet the Part 9 requirements of the BC Energy Step Code.
Effective as of Winter 2020
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Zero Energy Buildings: Assembly Details (for Residential Buildings) (CESA 1120)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.