Introduces the limit states design of statically determinate structures comprised of wood. Topics include determination of design load and design of beams, columns, and members in tension in accordance with Canadian design codes.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain the material structure and properties of timber.
- Design simple tension members, beams, columns and connections in accordance with CSA Standard O86 Engineering Design in Wood.
- Explain how the structural elements of a building work together to support the design loads.
- Design the key structural elements in a low-rise timber building subjected to gravity and lateral loading.
Effective as of Fall 2008
Wood Design (CIVL 3171) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Wood Design (CIVL 3171)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.