This course explores important design techniques to make better mobile apps. Students will dive into the techniques that great designers use to plan and prototype amazing apps before any code is written. This is a UX (User Experience) driven design course built for aspiring mobile designers. Good UX is an essential part of any well designed app, it will specifically inform how the UI (user Interface) looks and feels. With this knowledge, students will create interactions, user-flows, wireframes, digital prototypes, and finally a fully interactive user interface. The course will help guide students by brainstorming their ideas and concepts for the app they will be creating and prototyping. Topics also include UI design aspects such as typography, color, layouts, tactility, and affordances. Towards the end of the course an industry panel will review and provide critical feedback for quality assurance, design, and usability.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Analyze and brainstorm ideas and concepts using high level UX research and User Centered Design techniques.
- Identify market problems and propose market solutions within the constraint of an app concept.
- Develop 1 to 3 core features and core interactions for an app concept.
- Explain native platform constraints, design for the targeted platform.
- Create low-fi wireframes and prototypes of the concept.
- Create digital wireframes of the concept.
- Develop a styleguide including; typography, colour, layouts and reusable components.
- Design the user interactivity including; buttons, navigation, animation etc.
- Create an overall visual design ‘look and feel’ for the app including fully rendered mockups for each screen.
- Create a finished, functional prototype using web tools.
- Test a design with user interviews, heuristic evaluations and usability testing.
- Provide quality assurance for the completed app for critique review.
Effective as of Fall 2015
Interested in being notified about future offerings of UI/UX Design (MDIA 1079)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.