- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course presents an introduction to the relationship between applied loads and the resulting stresses and deformations produced in common structural elements. Topics include concepts of stress and strain, mechanical behaviour and testing of construction materials, elementary design principles using allowable stresses and factors of safety, analysis of statically determinate and indeterminate axially loaded bars, thermal stresses, moments of inertia, bending and shear stresses in beams, shear flow. A laboratory component is included in the delivery of this course.
Below is one offering of CIVL 2121 for the Winter 2024 term.
Thu Jan 04 - Thu Mar 21 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 89565
- Domestic fees $797.17International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Mar 21
|18:30 - 21:30
|Burnaby SW01 Rm. 3190
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Calculate the internal elastic stresses, strains and deformations produced by external forces acting on prismatic axial members and bending members.
- Determine the position of the centroid of area and the value of the area moment of inertia for simple and built-up structural sections.
- Use allowable stresses to determine the structural adequacy of simple connections and members subjected to axial, shear and/or bending stresses.
- Set up and perform laboratory tests to determine basic material properties of steel and timber specimens and apply safety factors to the data to determine appropriate design axial and shear stresses.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2010
Stress Analysis 1 (CIVL 2121) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Stress Analysis 1 (CIVL 2121)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.