This course presents an introduction to the relationship between applied loads and the resulting stresses and deformations produced in common structural elements. Topics include concepts of stress and strain, mechanical behaviour and testing of construction materials, elementary design principles using allowable stresses and factors of safety, analysis of statically determinate and indeterminate axially loaded bars, thermal stresses, moments of inertia, bending and shear stresses in beams, shear flow. A laboratory component is included in the delivery of this course.
Below is one offering of CIVL 2121 for the Fall 2023 term.
Wed Sep 13 - Wed Nov 29 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 37203
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Nov 29||Wed||18:30 - 21:30||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course will run for a total of 12 classes. For more info please visit: commons.bcit.ca/civiltech/ .
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Calculate the internal elastic stresses, strains and deformations produced by external forces acting on prismatic axial members and bending members.
- Determine the position of the centroid of area and the value of the area moment of inertia for simple and built-up structural sections.
- Use allowable stresses to determine the structural adequacy of simple connections and members subjected to axial, shear and/or bending stresses.
- Set up and perform laboratory tests to determine basic material properties of steel and timber specimens and apply safety factors to the data to determine appropriate design axial and shear stresses.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2010
Stress Analysis 1 (CIVL 2121) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Civil Technology
Associate Certificate Part-time
- Civil Technology
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Stress Analysis 1 (CIVL 2121)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.