This course builds on the knowledge gained in CIVL 2140. Material continues to be delivered through a combination of lectures, laboratory demonstrations, and problem-solving sessions. Topics include head diagrams, effective stress, consolidation, shear strength, subsurface investigation and geology, and forces on retaining walls.
- 50% in CIVL 2140
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Plot head diagrams for flow through soils.
- Explain and solve problems using the principle of effective stress.
- Calculate the amount and timing of consolidation of clays.
- Develop the principles of soil shear strength.
- Explain the basic principles of subsurface investigation and geology.
- Calculate forces on retaining structures.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2014
Soil Mechanics 2 (CIVL 3140) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Soil Mechanics 2 (CIVL 3140)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.