Single-sourcing and content management are key concepts in technical writing, concepts which need to be understood and then explained to other stakeholders. This course reviews the principles of content management, information modeling and single-sourcing also introduced in courses like COMM 1260 and COMM 2206, and discusses the advantages and demands of single-sourcing within the context of the wider organization or client base.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of COMM 2207 for the Fall 2022 term.
Fri Oct 21 - Fri Nov 25 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 33984
Class meeting times
|Oct 21 - Nov 25||N/A||N/A||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
ASYNCHRONOUS ONLINE DELIVERY: This is not a self-paced course. There will be specific timelines for assignments and exams. You will have readings, discussions, peer review, and assignments to complete each week (although you do NOT have to be online at a particular time or on a particular day). On the start date of your class (not before), log into learn.bcit.ca to access your course link. There is a required textbook for this course. You may purchase it through the BCIT Bookstore website at www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance/. Note: BCIT is not responsible for textbooks or eBooks purchased from unaffiliated vendors and cannot offer technical or other assistance with textbooks or eBooks purchased off campus.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the principles, advantages and demands of the following industry terms and practices: content management, information modeling, single-sourcing and structured authoring.
- Identify tools, technology and procedures used to manage and produce single-sourced content.
- Review and evaluate selected tools for their suitability for proposed organizations, stakeholders or clients.
- Create a presentation for a defined audience recommending a single-sourcing tool and/or strategy based on suitability.
Effective as of Winter 2012
Single-Sourcing for Technical Writers (COMM 2207) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Technical Writing
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Single-Sourcing for Technical Writers (COMM 2207)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.