This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the British Columbia Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's Examination for Part B - Paper 1 of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. On successful completion of this course, as well as courses: POWR 1219, POWR 1220, POWR 1221, POWR 1223, and POWR 1224, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of the Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate, maintain and/or manage various industrial facilities, plant processes and associated equipment within the scope of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include: Heat Engines and Prime Movers, Lubrication, Piping & Mechanical Drawing.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of POWR 1222 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 19386
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via email only. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, please send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the examination requirements for 'Part B - Paper 1' in the subjects of: Heat Engines and Prime Movers, Lubrication, Piping and Mechanical Drawing as follows.
- Describe the design, construction, application & operating principles of impulse and reaction type steam turbines.
- Describe the design, construction, application and principles of operation of gas turbines and internal combustion engines.
- Describe the auxiliary systems and equipment associated with steam turbines, gas turbines and internal combustion engines.
- Describe principles and apply equations to determine unknown variables in calculation problems relating to thermodynamic cycles associated with theoretical and practical power plant heat engines.
- Describe the inspection, maintenance and repair strategies for heat engines, prime movers and their associated equipment including standard procedures and programs used to ensure reliability.
- Describe standard start up and shutdown procedures for heat engines, prime movers and their associated ancillary equipment.
- Describe the lubrication and lubrication systems used for heat engines and their prime movers including characteristics of the various types of lubrication and the impact on different bearing surfaces.
- Describe the Metallurgy, Codes, Inspection Procedures and Design criteria used for Power and Pressure Plant piping.
- Describe the impact of pressure, temperature and waterhammer on Power & Pressure Plant piping.
Note: A copy of the Revised Reference Syllabus for the New Second Class Power Engineer's Examinations can be sourced from the BC Safety Authority website www.safetyauthority.ca
Effective as of Fall 2006
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Second Class Part B Paper 1 (POWR 1222)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.