This course is designed to provide security awareness to ship's personnel with designated security duties and is delivered in accordance with regulation VI/6 of STCW convention and section A-VI/6-2 of the STCW code.
- A valid marine medical, 18 years of age, and proof of citizenship or permanent residence of Canada.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness.
- Recognize security threats.
- Explain the need for and methods of maintaining security awareness and vigilance.
- Explain techniques used to circumvent security measures.
- Report security incidents.
- Explain the importance of the ship security exercises and drills.
- Explain how to conduct a bomb search.
- Explain how to conduct a baggage search.
- Explain MARSEC levels 1, 2, and 3.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2014
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (MSEC 1005)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.