This course is one of a set intended for individuals preparing to assume the responsibilities of a Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) or RSO Assistant in a health care, laboratory or educational facility utilizing radioactive materials. Course modules are designed to enable students to fulfil Canadian Radiation Protection Association core level competencies pertaining to exposure and dose control, instrumentation and equipment, radioactivity inventory management, personnel dosimetry, contamination control and emergency procedures. Students will investigate, interpret and apply Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission regulations to create components of a customized radiation safety program relating to practice. Assignments involve scenario-based exercises suitable for application in a working environment or a simulated setting.
- Diploma of Technology in Nuclear Medicine or equivalent or prior knowledge of radiation physics and experience handling radioactive materials.
Below is one offering of NMED 5160 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Sat Mar 25 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 74050
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Mar 25||N/A||N/A||Online|
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Control and monitor radiation exposure to workers and the public.
- Apply regulatory requirements in the screening and bioassay of volatile radio-iodines.
- Assess protective methods employed in radiation areas.
- Evaluate and manage optimal use of radiation safety equipment.
- Apply ALARA principles to formulate departmental protocol relating to radiation protection measures.
- Manage radioactive inventory including purchasing through to disposal.
- Evaluate potential internal and external radiation exposure hazards.
- Develop and respond to action levels regarding personnel radiation exposure.
- Monitor, control and evaluate contamination in the workplace.
- Develop and implement emergency response plans to radiation incidents.
- Interpret and apply Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission regulations to create components of a customized radiation safety program relating to practice.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2007
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Radiation Safety Officer Practice (NMED 5160)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.