This course covers the duties and legal responsibilities involved in public works inspection; examines inspection techniques, reports and data collection; and examines relevant clauses of MMCD general specifications for Public Works construction. Inspection requirements and quality control for soil placement, asphalt cement, Portland cement concrete and underground utilities are discussed.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of PUBW 4550 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Mar 13 - Fri Mar 17 (5 days)
- 5 days
- CRN 89619
Class meeting times
|Mar 13 - Mar 17||Mon - Fri||08:30 - 16:30||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
PUBW 4550 will be offered in a one-week online seminar format (M-F). Instructional sessions are delivered through a live interactive web-lecture through online course portal (BCIT Learning Hub) by industry subject matter expert instructor. For more information, please visit our commons webpage: commons.bcit.ca/civiltech/ Field trip: TBA.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- List and describe the duties and responsibilities of a public works inspector.
- Describe and use appropriate inspection techniques.
- Collect required data and prepare an inspection report.
- Discuss relevant clauses of MMCD general specifications for construction.
- Classify soils and identify required material tests.
- Demonstrate compaction and field density tests.
- Recognize simple water-related problems in soil and recommend remedial solutions.
- Identify asphalt cements and monitor the asphalt manufacturing and paving process.
- Identify and assist in quality control tests and inspection on Portland cement concrete.
- Monitor forming, curing and finishing of concrete.
- Ensure proper material handling and installation and testing of water, sewer, and underground wiring facilities.
- Monitor location and construction of roads.
- Execute performance evaluation on existing pavement structures.
Effective as of Winter 2011
Public Works Inspection (PUBW 4550) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Public Works Inspection (PUBW 4550)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.