- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Students will prepare for international experiences prior to departure on exchanges, field schools and internships. They will consider personal learning objectives and use guides to develop realistic goals and expectations. Students will explore culture shock and identify strategies to manage stress associated with cultural transitions. They will examine security and safety topics including personal safety and risk management, emergency preparedness and procedures, health insurance and vaccinations, and best practices for the use of social media while abroad. Students will create and implement a personal pre-departure plan.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of XSMP 3010 for the Spring/Summer 2024 term.
Tue Apr 09 - Tue Apr 30 (4 weeks)
- 4 weeks
- CRN 69041
- Domestic fees $89.45International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Apr 09 - Apr 30
|18:00 - 21:00
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop realistic international experience goals and expectations that align with personal, study and career ambitions.
- Explain why culture shock happens and identify strategies to cope with cultural adaptation and culture shock
- Identify strategies to support health and wellness and mitigate personal risk during their international experience
- Apply well established frameworks and practices for creating and implementing a personal pre- departure plan
Effective as of Fall 2022
Pre- Departure (XSMP 3010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
- Student Mobility Preparedness
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Pre- Departure (XSMP 3010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.