- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course builds on the concepts and frameworks presented in NSPO 7100. The focus is on how perioperative nurses provide care in the scrub role for patients undergoing common, less complex surgeries. Participants will continue learning about the key concepts of caring, clinical decision-making, safety, aseptic technique, and surgical conscience. Learners will consider how these concepts are used to maintain a safe and supportive perioperative environment for patients and team members. The course introduces theory related to the development of basic perioperative scrub nurse skills in preparation for clinical learning. Clinical decision-making frameworks that guide practice in the scrub role are introduced and reviewed with a focus on the Situated Clinical Decision Making Framework (Gillespie & Patterson, 2009). Participants will build on nursing knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and disease processes to deepen their understanding of perioperative nursing care in the scrub role. Learners will examine ways of developing collaborative relationships with patients, colleagues, instructors, and perioperative team members. This course is part of the BCIT Perioperative/Periop 101: A Core Curriculum merged program for BC Health Authority sponsored perioperative nurses. Participants will need to successfully pass one AORN Periop 101 final exam to achieve the Periop 101 Certificate of Completion. Note: The Periop 101 exam is completed at the end of NSPO 7451 as exam contains both scrub and circulating nurse course content.
- 75% in NSPO 7100
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
As a healthcare practitioner, you are expected to follow professional standards of practice throughout all SN programs and courses. In this course, you will have opportunities to use the processes of critical thinking, systematic inquiry, communication, collaboration, leadership, professionalism, and clinical decision-making. Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Use relevant current ORNAC Standards of Care content to explain core activities in the scrub role: scrubbing, gowning, and gloving; setting up the sterile environment; counting; preparing for surgery; draping; anticipating during surgery; handling specimens; and dismantling the sterile environment.
- Use relevant knowledge of Periop 101: A Core Curriculum to inform novice entry-level scrub nurse activities: patient and worker safety, aseptic practice, equipment safety, patient care, and sterilization.
- Apply knowledge of essential components of aseptic technique associated with the preparation and maintenance of the sterile team in the perioperative environment
- Critically analyze how scrub nurses apply surgical conscience to promote patient safety and healing.
- Identify risks and hazards associated with the perioperative environment and equipment for patients and team members.
- Carry out scrub nurse activities that minimize risks and hazards and promote patient and team safety.
- Identify the potential emotional and physical impact of the perioperative environment on patients and team members.
- Use effective communication techniques to promote effective interprofessional perioperative team partnerships and collaboration.
- Critically analyze independent and collaborative activities of scrub nurses that facilitate effective and ethical patient care within the perioperative team.
- Critically analyze how scrub nurses enact caring with patients undergoing surgery.
- Identify how scrub nurses advocate for perioperative patients.
- Explain how scrub nurses use ways of knowing the individual (case, patient, and person) to care for patients.
- Prepare and communicate a plan for patient-centered care in the scrub role using reflective critical thinking skills and a clinical decision-making framework.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2023
Perioperative Theory 2 (with AORN Periop 101): The Nurse in the Scrub Role (NSPO 7251) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Perioperative Theory 2 (with AORN Periop 101): The Nurse in the Scrub Role (NSPO 7251)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.