This introductory specialty course is intended for registered generalist sonographers (CRGS, RDMS) employed in British Columbia, Canada. Students in this course gain entry-level hands-on experience in the settings of musculoskeletal (MSK) sonography. Students who successfully complete this course will be able to perform skills satisfactorily in more difficult or complex cases with assistance. Essential core competencies are emphasized and assessed through this course. Examples of these include effective communication, safe practice, patient care, and integration of academic knowledge.
- Must be a BC resident, registered, employed, and working Sonographer as musculoskeletal (MSK) upskilling and clinical first-steps are supported through a BCIT partnership with the provincial Health Authority. For example, potential students need to have graduated from an accredited sonography training program and hold the Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS - AB/OB/GYN) or Canadian Registered Generalist Sonographer (CRGS) credentials to qualify for BCIT MSK sonography specialty training.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Produce diagnostic musculoskeletal (MSK) ultrasound images and accurately report findings.
- Demonstrate effective communication, and professional behaviour with patients, support persons, and other health care professionals by adhering to relevant regulations, code of ethics, and organizational policies.
- Implement safe practice to include appropriate patient care.
- Practice within limits of personal knowledge and skill, and ask for guidance where appropriate.
- Assess medical history and provide continuous care throughout the exam.
- Implement problem-solving strategies consistent with the level of experience.
- Anticipate exam outcomes based on the clinical history and available diagnostic tests.
- Modify examination based on sonographic evidence, clinical information, resource implications, and other contextual factors.
Effective as of Winter 2022
Musculoskeletal Sonography Clinical First-steps (XDMS 5011) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Musculoskeletal Sonography
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Musculoskeletal Sonography Clinical First-steps (XDMS 5011)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.